Re: Intel ALSA problem

On Sunday 07 October 2007 00:48, Lars 'Levia' Wesselius wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I am experiencing some odd issues with ALSA. I'm running latest Archlinux
> with latest ALSA, however when I play a sound I don't hear anything.
> I have used alsaconf to set it all up. Then I have used alsamixer to unmute
> the channels (for some reason, they weren't muted at all, and I cannot
> change it's muted state by pressing m).
> My audio device is: Intel Corp.|ICH8 HD Audio DID (snd-hda-intel)
>
> and these are the mods that are running related to sound:
>
> snd_ens1371            25792  0
> snd_rawmidi            23456  1 snd_ens1371
> snd_ac97_codec        117336  1 snd_ens1371
> snd_hwdep               9224  0
> snd_seq_dummy           3972  0
> snd_seq_oss            35200  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      7808  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                57088  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq_device          8212
> 4
> snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            45344  0
> snd_hda_intel         329888  0
> snd_pcm                83080  4
> snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
> snd_timer              22792  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc          9360  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> snd_mixer_oss          16896  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd                    58728  13
> snd_ens1371,snd_rawmidi,snd_ac97_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,
>snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer
>_oss
>

> This is the result of  ls -l /dev/snd/:
>
> total 0
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  0 2007-10-07 02:19 controlC0
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 2007-10-07 02:19 pcmC0D0c
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 2007-10-07 02:19 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 2007-10-07 02:19 seq
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 2007-10-07 02:19 timer
>

> I have been wondering if its the order of the modules that is causing this
> problem, my modules line in /etc/rc.conf:
> MODULES=(tg3 snd-mixer-oss snd-hda-intel snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep
> snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd soundcore)
>
> and modprobe.conf:
> # /etc/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
> #
> # --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
> # --- ALSACONF version 1.0.14 ---
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
> # --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
>
> I have already tried adding options snd-hda-intel model=3stack, but nothing
> seem to have changed?
>
> How do I fix this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Lars Wesselius

According to your lsmod you also have snd-ens1371 loaded as well as
snd-hda-intel, indicating there are 2 cards on the machine. Can you post the
output of cat /proc/asound/cards.

You will have to add some lines to your /etc/modprobe.conf to get the cards in
order. Under the 2 lines for the hda-intel, add.
options snd-hda-intel index=0
You'd add any other options on this line for snd-intel-intel, for example the
"model=3stack" one, with a space inbetween each option.

Also add to your modprobe.conf the following lines for the ensoniq card.

alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
options snd-ens1371 index=1

cat /proc/asound/cards should now show the hda-intel as card0, and the ensoniq
card as card1.

The default alsamixer will be for card0, and starting alsamixer as.
alsamixer -c 1
will display the mixer settings for the ensoniq card.

I can't help much with getting the hda-intel working. There are so many
variations of it, that it can be hideous to get working irrespective of all
the fine work that the alsa guys have done to get it working on different
machines/motherboards.

Will you let us know which machine/model you have, alsamixer for the hda-intel
should tell you which codec it's using.

If you download the latest alsa driver, you can read the
ALSA-Configuration.txt doc. There's a load of info for snd-hda-intel in it,
but bear in mind it will be for the alsa driver you've downloaded, and some
of the model options will not be available for your 1.0.14 driver.
http://alsa-project.org/

All the best.

Nigel.