Re: No sound from new system

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 09:15:17 Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 September 2007 13:17, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> > Freshly installed system running Gentoo AMD64.  System was previously a
> > Windows box, and sound worked without issue prior to the reformat.  No
> > motherboard jumpers etc.  changed.  Asus K8V Deluxe motherboard with Via
> > VT837 integrated audio.  I have Alsa and the Via driver compiled into the
> > kernel.
> >
> > localhost ddjones # cat /proc/asound/version
> > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14 (Thu May 31
> > 09:03:25 2007 UTC).
> >

> > localhost ddjones # cat /proc/asound/cards
> >  0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
> >                       VIA 8237 with AD1980 at 0xc800, irq 22
> >

> > I get no sound from the system at all.  No system sounds, nothing from
> > any media player, just silence.
> >
> > alsaconf says that there is no supported PnP or PCI card found.
> > AlsaMixer shows the VIA 8237 card.  Everything is turned up - nothing
> > muted.  KDE Control Center says that it can't start the sound system.
> >
> > Everything seems to be in place and detected.  I have no idea where to go
> > from here.  Hints and suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> I probably can't help much, but when you compiled the kernel did you enable
> oss emulation? (I believe it needs to be as a module). You should see in
> lsmod the following amongst the other snd modules.
> snd_pcm_oss
> snd_mixer_oss
> snd_seq_oss
>
> Would you post the output of.  lsmod | grep snd  . It may be helpfull to
> others reading this thread. While your in lsmod check to see if a module
> named "soundcore" is loaded.

I had everything compiled into the kernel.  I've done this in the past without
issue.  Another post here mentioned the troubleshooting wiki, which I had not
seen before.  I searched it out and it strongly recommends compiling the sound
system as modules, so I recompiled my kernel.  Following a reboot, here's the
lsmod:

ddjones@ /mnt $ lsmod | grep snd
snd_pcm_oss            41568  0
snd_mixer_oss          16832  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss            31232  0
snd_seq_midi_event      8896  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                50144  4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_via82xx            25824  0
snd_ac97_codec        109336  1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm                74760  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              21576  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         10000  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
snd_mpu401_uart         9408  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            22816  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8336  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi
snd                    52136  11
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
ac97_bus                4864  1 snd_ac97_codec

I don't see a "soundcore" module.

alsaconf now detects the sound card and says that it's configuring it for use.
I hear some popping from the speakers when it does this, or when I
restart /etc/init.d/alsasound.  After that, everything is the same.  No sound
at all.  KDE Control Center still says that it can't initialize the sound
system.  KPlayer appears to play an MP3 but there's no sound output.
Kaffiene errors out with the error "All Audio Drivers Failed to Initialize."