Re: No sound from new system

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 13:17, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> Freshly installed system running Gentoo AMD64.  System was previously a
> Windows box, and sound worked without issue prior to the reformat.  No
> motherboard jumpers etc.  changed.  Asus K8V Deluxe motherboard with Via
> VT837 integrated audio.  I have Alsa and the Via driver compiled into the
> kernel.

> localhost ddjones # cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.14 (Thu May 31
> 09:03:25 2007 UTC).
>

> localhost ddjones # cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
>                       VIA 8237 with AD1980 at 0xc800, irq 22
>

> I get no sound from the system at all.  No system sounds, nothing from any
> media player, just silence.
>
> alsaconf says that there is no supported PnP or PCI card found.  AlsaMixer
> shows the VIA 8237 card.  Everything is turned up - nothing muted.  KDE
> Control Center says that it can't start the sound system.
>
> Everything seems to be in place and detected.  I have no idea where to go
> from here.  Hints and suggestions greatly appreciated.

I probably can't help much, but when you compiled the kernel did you enable
oss emulation? (I believe it needs to be as a module). You should see in
lsmod the following amongst the other snd modules.
snd_pcm_oss
snd_mixer_oss
snd_seq_oss

Would you post the output of.  lsmod | grep snd  . It may be helpfull to
others reading this thread. While your in lsmod check to see if a module
named "soundcore" is loaded.

Nigel.