Re: Diamond50 7.1 audio card at Staples

On 09/13/2007 09:27 AM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Rene Herman wrote:
>>> Nothing needs to be scheduled separately; there shouldn't be any noticeable
>>> latency.
>> Well, there _has_ to be a difference between (at least in principle) being
>> able to DMA from application to card and needing to process each individual
>> sample, no?
>
> Yes, but the application processes each individual sample anyway, and
> the processing can be done synchronously when the application uses an
> ALSA function to write to the buffer or to tell ALSA that it has done
> writing to the DMA buffer.
>
> The actual time needed to multiply each sample by some value is
> negligible.

Okay, that's fair enough I guess. Thanks for the comment. I'll for now
believe that softvol doesn't matter all that much generally, even less than
that when you do still have a master volume control, and ofcourse not at all
if you only ever adjust volume externally at an amplifier anyway and disable
the softvol plugin.

Add in that fewer blocks in the signal path == better, and it need not even
(necessarily) be considered a little lame...

Rene.