Re: Diamond50 7.1 audio card at Staples

On 09/12/2007 03:12 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> If so, it seems it's a CMI8768 which seems supported by snd-cmipci yes.
>> The CMI chips are okay-ish sounding -- nothing stellar though (ice1724
>> cards are nice in that respect).
>>
>> Grepping though the driver shows it doesn't support PCM volume, meaning
>> volume adjustment has to be in software (ALSA can do this) and that it
>> records only at 44.1/48 if that's important to you.
>
> No wonder its "quite affordable".  That sounds rather crippled to me.

Not sure, I haven't made up my mind on software volume control yet. If you
do volume control in hardware you can do it analogue or digital. Analogue
you introduce more opportunity for introducing noise into the signal and
digitally, while keeping cost (and complexity) down, the CPU is generally
going to be better equiped resource-wise than the card is, so it may make
some sense to just let software deal with it.

Moreover, I generally just set all volumes to 0 dB anyway and only ever
adjust volume externally at the analogue amplifier that sits between the
card and the speakers (it in some cases may be built in to the latter, but
even those are often better then the ones on cheap cards).

Latency-wise, I expect softvol is a non-starter always but if this is not a
concern, I don't know. Opionions in fact appreciated, which is why I added
alsa-user back -- hope you don't mind.

As to the capture direction; well, capture isn't widely used. You don't need
192 kHz for recording, say, a VoIP conversation.

> I have an Audigy 2 ATM, which seems to work fairly well (even has
> software tone controls) as I have things configured to use it as the
> system default, relegating the nvidia/intel8xx motherboard audio for
> skype and gizmo use.

But yes, I'd stick with that. Were you only considering upgrading due to the
7.1? Are you really going to sit there with 7 loud-speakers surrounding you
and a subwoofer at your feet? :-)

Rene.