Re: OSS spdif by default - was - M-Audio Revolution 7.1 microphone level

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 02:32:59 Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > How do I get output from OSS based applications to use spdif by
> > default or at all?
>
> The default mapping of OSS devices to ALSA devices is as follows:
> /dev/dsp0  -> hw:0,0  (first device on first card)
> /dev/adsp0 -> hw:0,1  (second device on first card)
> /dev/dsp1  -> hw:1,0  (first device on second card)
> /dev/adsp1 -> hw:1,1  (second device on second card)
> (Often, /dev/dsp instead of /dev/dsp0 is used.)

On my machine this is /dev/dsp and /dev/adsp.

> You can tell the OSS application to use /dev/adsp0 if the SPDIF output
> is the second device (this should be the case with the Revo7.1).

When I tried this with TeamSpeak but it did not work.  No mic and no output.
This could also be a problem with the way the alsa 32bit emulation libraries
are setup on my machine.

> If your application doesn't allow changing the device, or if you want
> to change the default for all applications, or if you want to map to
> a hw:X,2 device, you can change the mapping with the dsp_map and
> adsp_map options of the snd-pcm-oss module.  These options specify, for
> each card, which subdevice (the number after the comma) to use.  The
> default settings are "dsp_map=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0" and
> "adsp_map=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1", where each number is for one sound card.
>
> For example, to map /dev/dsp to hw:0,1, add the line
>       options snd-pcm-oss dsp_map=2
> to /etc/modprobe.conf (or whatever file contains ALSA module options).

In /etc/modules.conf I changed

alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss

alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss dsp_map=2

and it is now working.  The mic works in TeamSpeak and TeamSpeak output goes
to the coax spdif output.  So I think that everything is now using the coax
spdif output by default.  At least everything I have tested does.

Thanks for your help.