OSS spdif by default - was - M-Audio Revolution 7.1 microphone level

On Sunday 09 September 2007 16:31:18 Hal V. Engel wrote:
snip

> TeamSpeak does not seem to be able to find the mic at all.  What OSS device
> would this be since /dev/dsp does not appear to work (it does exist
> however)? Mumble does find the mic since it is alsa based and it's audio
> setup wizard shows that the device it is using works other than not having
> enough gain. Shouting as loud as I can with the mic located so that it is
> almost touching my lips results in the bar going about 30% over into the
> green area in the volume tuning part of the wizard.  It should cover at
> least 95% of the the green during these loud peaks.

I have this working with TeamSpeak now.  I am running an amd64 system and with
my old "sound card" and ALSA drivers I would start TeamSpeak with

$ aoss32 TeamSpeak

It turns out that this does not work with the ice1724 drivers for some reason.
I can get the mic to work in TeamSpeak but not with the aoss or aoss32
wrappers.  Even though the mic gain is still too low microphone sound quality
in TeamSpeak is OK.

I do have another issue that I would like to resolve.  I have setup the ALSA
configuration (see .asoundrc below) so that it's default outputs is the spdif
coax cable.   This works nicely in things like Kaffeine/xine and mplayer.
But I have not been able to figure out how to configure this so that
everything goes out on the spdif output by default.  So I have to keep
changing the input on my speaker system from "Direct" (meaning analog)
to "Coax" (meaning spdif) depending on what I am doing.  At this point it
appears that OSS apps are the only things that is still using the analog
outputs.  I would like to configure this so that all output are automatically
directed to the spdif coax.  How do I get output from OSS based applications
to use spdif by default or at all?  If nothing else I would like to figure
out how to get TeamSpeak to do this since it is really the only OSS app I
use.

> I am using kernel 2.6.22 with the default kernal module.  It appears that
> this is alsa version 1.0.14.   I also tried it without kernal modules using
> the alsa-driver.  This did not affect how it worked.  I used alsa-driver
> 1.0.14. Should I be using something else with this card? Do I need some
> additional utilities to configure this card?
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> Hal

Current .asoundrc

pcm.spdifdmix {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,1"
        format S32_LE
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
    }
    bindings {
      0 0
      1 1
    }
}

pcm.duplex {
    type asym
    playback.pcm "spdifdmix"
    capture.pcm "dsnoop"
}

# default ALSA route for software support of multiple sound streams
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "duplex"
}