Service audio restart

Greetings;

The subject line is something we need very badly.  Being forced to reboot to
test an audio setup change is a cast iron bitch.

Anyway, to get to my problem.

Something seems to be rewriting my /etc/modprobe.conf, I'm finding stuff there
I didn't put in that file, but whether or not that is part of my problem I
have NDI.

System is FC6, using kde, and pretty well uptodate except for kernels, I
bleed, sometimes a lot, by running the the most recent development release,
2.6.23-rc5 ATM.

I have two audio systems, an intel-ish thing in the motherboards nforce2
chipset, and an Audigy 2 PCI card.

Many moons ago, I added some lines to my modprobe.conf that had the effect of
making the Audigy 2 the default card, snd-slot-0, while the nvidia was used
as snd-slot-1 and assigned to Skype or Gizmo.

For several months this worked fine, and the kmix based volume control
represented by the speaker icon in the dock could run the master gain for the
Audigy 2 just by rolling the mouse wheel over it.

Then about a month back, the dock disappeared after a kde update and nothing
that normally lived there survived.

Even more recently, I found I needed the kde devel stuff to build something,
and called up smart to have it install the kde devel stuffs.  But the devel
caused quite a bit of kde to be downgraded back to the distribution versions
when FC6 was released.

So the dock, and the kmix volume control are now back among the living.

However, that volume control is now running the nvidia stuff on the mobo, but
not the Audigy 2 card as it used to.  And I need it to be controlling the
Audigy 2's main volume.

I can post whatever you need to facilitate fixing this, just ask for whatever
you need to see.  In the meantime here is the revelant stuffs from
my /etc/modprobe.conf:

remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null
2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 1 >/dev/null
2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
#install ipv6 /bin/true
remove snd-mpu401 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 2 >/dev/null
2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-mpu401
# nvidia kernel module
options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=1
alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=7

Many thanks for any hints as to howto fix this.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)