LG T1-- cannot capture from external mic.

My son has an LG T1 laptop. It has an ALC880 hda soundcard. I am using it
with the mdel=lg option ( alsa 1.0.14) I have a wide variety of sliders and
switches especially on the "play" side. One of the features is three
sources each of which has three options, line mic and internal mic.
On the Capture side there is no source selection at all. Just four sliders,
capture 0 1 and 2 and Digital.

I have been trying to get an external microphone to work. I can hear that
it is producing sound out of the onboard speaker ( including feedback
squeels if I push the sliders high enough) but nothing gets recorded,
either using aplay or audacity. Under audacity I have chosen all available
sources, and nothing. Ie, it seems that the external mic works, but
something is wrong in capturing the output.

Does anyone have any clues as to what could be wrong and what I can do?

Thanks.