problems with dmix, a52 and upmix

Hello,

the only way for me to get surround sound from my Mac Mini is to use its
spdif interface and an external ac3 decoder, but this leads to various
problems (e.g. no volume control from my pc anymore). My idea was the
following:

application--->dmix--->upmix--->softvol--->a52--->external a52 decoder

Till know I have this setup working:

application--->softvol--->upmix--->a52--->external decoder

But there are two problems with this setup:
0. without dmix I cannot share the sound card which is a big problem!
1. dmix refuses to work with the a52 plugin as its slave
2. all xine-lib based apps have problems with the upmix plugin (I don't
know how to explain - it sound's like a tinkling and stuttering).
Playing medias with "native" ac3 sound is also fine with xine (e.g.
DVDs, Dolby or THX trailers, but not AC3 from digital tv/vdr). Sound
from mplayer is fine all the time.

Is there any way to make dmix work with a52 as slave?

Here's my asound.conf

pcm.swac3 {
    type        softvol
    slave {
        pcm     "upmix51"      #redirect the output to dmix (instead of
"hw:0,0")
    }
    control {
        name    "PCM"       #override the PCM slider to set the softvol
volume level globally
        card    0
    }
}