External mic on acer travelmate 3012WTMi

Hi everybody:

I am having a problem configuring the linux sound on a laptop.  Maybe I am
missing something stupid and someone here can help me.

The system is an Acer Travelmate 3012WTMi, which uses an intel 82801G HD
controller.  I have a Fedora Core 5 with the latest stable kernel release,
2.6.22.5.

I load the snd_hda_intel module with options index=0 position_fix=1
model=acer
and it mostly works: the only problem comes from the headphone mic input.
When
I plug a standard microphone, nothing comes in.  But I tried to plug a
pre-amplified signal (coming e.g. from an mp3-player) and then I see the
input
coming in the "Line-in" channel.  The front microphone, BTW, keeps listening.

My question is: how can I switch to use a non amplified mic on this machine?
I suppose it would not be a big problem to have it on the "Line-In" channel,
but I would prefer to have it on "Mic".

If anyone is interested, you can read the details of my system, taken from
the
alsa-info.sh script at http://homepages.cwi.nl/~luque/alsa-info.txt

Any help would be appreciated.  Many thanks in advance,

   Alejandro.

.                      E-Mail: A dot Luque at cwi dot nl
.                      Tel. +31 20 592 4208
.                      Web: http://www.phy.uni-bayreuth.de/~btpa16/
. CWI
. P.O.Box 49079
. 1090GB Amsterdam (The Netherlands)