Re: AHH! What happened to my dmix audio??

I believe it is safe to say the the problem is fixed now. It turns out
that xine corrupted asound.state in memory when it crashed. On shutdown
the corrupted asound.state gets copied to /etc/asound.state. Then at
boot /etc/asound.state gets copied back into memory. No matter how many
times I deleted /etc/asound.state the corrupted version always came back.

I had a backup copy of /etc/asound.state. I back up my important
directories every night via rsync. /etc is one of those directories.
When the problem first occurred I had the good sense to turn off auto
backups.

I grabbed the backup copy of /etc/asound.state placed it in
/etc/asound.state.safe and did the following:

alsactl -f /etc/asound.state.safe restore

rebooted to make sure it stuck and I was good to go.

Thanks for the help,
Jon

PS. bad xine ... bad

FYI. Since I have a well thought out asound.conf I changed
audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device:iec958:AES0=0
x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2
audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device:default
Hopefully this won't happen again