snd-emu20k1

I was wondering if any of the ALSA developers knew anything about a
possibly existing snd-emu20k1 module. I wont get into specifics but its
getting overly suspicious that nobody has ever mentioned anything about
supporting the emu20k1 DSP for over the last year period. What do the
ALSA developers know that the rest of us don't? Seeing how lack of
support for the emu20k1 is starting to become a major blocker for a lot
of potential Linux users, most notably Ubuntu adopters, its becoming
even more noticeable that Creative is obviously doing more than just
"not providing datasheets". Gag ordering perhaps? Legal threats
from reverse engineering maybe? I think the public has the right to
know the truth if the truth exists.

Reverse engineering work not started due to lack of time? Or all
possible development of said module stopped for other (maybe
legal) reasons? Lack of time doesn't sound all that convincing when its
been like this for the better part of more than a year.

If I developed a driver and submitted it to ALSA for this chip, would I
get the legal raping from Creative, forced to stop development,
shut up about its existance, or else be sued? Its funny, because I
heard this has happened to someone but I cant really confirm its
authenticity.

It would sound like Creative to do such a thing though seeing how they
don't even want to provide Auzentech the source code to the X-Fi
drivers, even though they are making the Auzentech Prelude sound card
based on Creative's own emu20k1 DSP. Creative must have a lot to hide
here regarding the technical side of this DSP.

Legally forcing the ALSA developers from developing a driver for this
DSP would be right up Creative's alley. I know this will probably lead
to nothing but its certainly well worth bringing up as many Linux
users have been waiting a very long time to see sound come out of
these sound cards. As we all know, as it stands there is no guarantee
that Creative will *ever* release a binary blob for this DSP. Since its
said to be binary only, wheres the incentive to develop an opensource
driver? The Auzentech Prelude will be on the shelves this Monday and
its such a crime that there is no Linux support for what is going to be
one of the best sound cards to ever hit the market in years, right up
there with the Auzentech X-Meridian.

Is it a conspiracy perhaps? Fact? Tinfoil hats? Either way, something
just isn't right and its about time that Linux users had an
upgrade path with real hardware based Creative DSP's.

-Spike