Re: snd-emu20k1

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:35:11 +0100
James Courtier-Dutton <James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Spike wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:23:29 +0100
> > James Courtier-Dutton <James@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> There is no such snd-emu20k1 module, there never has been.
> >> If anyone has one, please post it!
> >>

> > No kidding, its 2 years late. I been waiting almost that long. It's
> > just a sound card, you'd think some simple reverse engineering would
> > allow it to make some kind of sound but nobody with the know-how seems
> > to be interested, or motivated.
>
> Exactly, it is just a sound card, so buy a different one that is
> supported in Linux.
> If it is so easy to reverse engineer, do it yourself.

Make no wonder there isn't any progress when that's the attitude around
here, insulting. Just use another card that is?, yes, perfect solution,
which is why I been using an emu10k1 based card for years. If I wanted
to be told to use another soundcard, I would just go ahead and do so
and I certainly wouldn't bother posting to this mailing list about it.
My main point was that nobody has bothered to try to work on this card
as there is no motivation or Creative is either threatening legal
action. If I knew how to reverse engineer audio hardware I would take
up the task. If ALSA developers were as motivated as the Nouveau team
is we'd probably see a whole line of creative sound hardware supported
rather than have a bunch of useless cards.