Re: alsa compile gives Unknown symbol errors.--Makefile broken

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Bill Unruh wrote:

> OK, now I am having a common problem-- unfortunately cannot find the
> solution right now.
> I have installed alsa 1.0.14 on my Mandriva 2007.1 system. Unfortunately
> when I try to install any module, I get a huge number of unkown symbol
> errors. ( eg modprobe snd-hda-intel gives about 30 unknown symbo errors
> (eg., snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages, snd_timer_new,...)
> clearly something is wrong, and I am sure it is something simple.
>
> I installed alsa-driver, alsa-lib, alsa-tools, alsa-utils, ...

OK, I think I have discovered the problem Many distributions, Mandriva in
particular, gzip their .ko modules to save space.
Unfortunately make install-modules on alsa only removes snd-\*.ko modules.
This means that the kernel/sound tree is still full of the old sound
modules as well as the new ones, which I could well see could cause
infinite grief. The make file for alsa-driver under the install-modules
should make sure that not only all the snd*.*o modules are removed but also
the snd*.*o.gz are removed.