Re: Impossible to make subwoofer work on a Dell XPS M1710w

At Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:09:25 -0700 (PDT),
Bill Unruh wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Celso Gorrín wrote:
>
> > Ok. This is probably the fastest-resolved issue on this list ever.
> >
> > By looking to some not subwoofer-related posts on this list I found that
> > adding the option "index=0" to the module could be a good idea for
> > solving some other problem I can't remember right now. So, since I was
> > feeling I had nothing to lose, I tried it.
> >
> > So, I added the line "options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=ref" to my
> > /etc/modprobe.conf and I finally got the LFE control.
> >

> These options are almost insane. As was posted here there are  over a
> hundred options for various and sundry things. And very little that tells
> you what they actually do. Eg, model=ref-- what does that mean? And
> index=0? What index? and why 0, ratehr than 5897?
> Surely the driver is the thing which knows best what it should be trying.
> Are there not some tests that the driver could carry out to set these
> options on its own?
>
> I am frustrated because I am trying to test a new computer ( the Toshiba
> U300 series) to see if sound will work on them, since sound is important
> for its use. I have a live disk (MCNLive) to use to test, but with this
> huge list of options, it is almost impossible to do so, while standing on
> one leg in the shop hoping a salesman does not see me and ask what I am
> doing.
> I realise that this is not entirely the writer's fault, since the
> manufacturers seem to delight in making their system different in some
> entirely inconsequential but crucial way.

The index option shouldn't influence on the appearance of mixer
elements.  It must be a side-effect of something else (e.g. didn't
write correctly earlier but now corrected).  The index option has a
meaning only when you have multiple sound devices.  Otherwise, you
don't have to touch it.

The model option is _the_ important option for HD-audio driver.
It overrides the configuration preset.  As default, the driver reads
the PCI (subsystem) IDs to identify which configuration preset to
use.  If not found, the driver does a guess work from the BIOS setup
in most cases.

Now, since many laptops are shipped with broken BIOS and the guess
work is imperfect, you often face the famous problem -- "sound
doesn't work" (great words that explain everything).  Then you can
pass model option for the preset designed for anohter hardware
(e.g. model=thinkpad) to make the driver probe as if it's such a
hardware.  If you are lucky, your device is similar with others, and
the driver works with such a preset.  If not, we'd need to hack
another preset for matching with your device.

The list of available model option is found in
ALSA-Configuration.txt.

Takashi