Re: Sound muted in HP Pavillion DV9580us/Ubuntu

On 8/16/07, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 09:32 -0300, Rafael Roquetto wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have had a issue with my HP DV9580us notebook. I installed Ubuntu
> > Gutsy, however the sound is not working. The sound chipset is an Intel
> > ICH8 82801H, using a Realtek ID 268 codec. Before you ask, this
> > soundcard has been detected correctly. I uninstalled ubuntu alsa
> > packages and compiled the latest version downloaded from
> > alsa-project.org. I can "play" audio files normally (i.e. it displays
> > no errors, I can see the program playing the file, however no sound
> > comes out of the speakers).
> >
> > So here is my guess: this notebook has some extra buttons in its
> > panel: volume (+), volume (-) and a mute button.
> > When the sound is muted, the button lights amber. When the sound is
> > not muted, the mute button is lit blue. When alsa starts and
> > snd-hda-intel module is loaded (successfully), the mute button turns
> > amber (muted) , and I can hear the speakers muting (i.e. when you turn
> > off an  guitar amplifier, it makes a noise like *tack* before power
> > goes out). When I press the button, it surprisingly works, setting the
> > alsa master channel muted or unmuted (the volume buttons work as
> > well), however, the button does not turn blue, as if it were indeed
> > setting the alsa mixer properly, but the hardware was not being
> > affected. I don´t know if that was clear.
> >
> > Has anyone ever undergone such problem? I am stuck with it for days I
> > can't figure this out. I would appreciate any kinda help.
>
> I had the exact same thing on a dv6565us.  The 268 codec is not
> supported in the current release.  To make it work:
>
> 1. Download the mercurial codebase for alsa-driver, alsa-kernel and
> alsa-libraries.
>
> 2. Download the "patch_realtek.c" file and copy it to the
> alsa-driver/pci/hda directory
>
> 3. Build everything by going into the alsa-library directory and
> doing "make install".  Repeat in the alsa-driver directory.

Rick, thanks a lot for your help. However, the above steps do not seem
to work for me.
I downloaded the latest HG repository alsa-lib, alsa-drivers, etc. I
tried to apply the patches (any of the realtek1x.tar.gz) , but they
wouldn't compile at all.

Then, I tried to install latest HG sources without applying the
patches, however I got stuck with the problem.  Then, last but not
least, I applied the patches to current alsa version, compiled and
installed. No sound at all. Same mixer, no sound at all.

I am really stuck with this. I don't know what else to do. I have read
people that reported Realtek ALC 268 codec working on their Toshiba
laptop as well, and in some models of HP laptops.
Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful. If anyone has a guess on how
to fix this problem, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Rafael