Virtual Surround

I am trying to setup virtual surround sound with ALSA 1.0.13 under
Ubuntu (feisty 7.0.4).
I have created the following /etc/asound.conf:

pcm.vsurround51 {
    type route
    slave.pcm surround51
    slave.channels 6
    ttable.0.0 1
    ttable.1.1 1
    ttable.0.2 1
    ttable.1.3 1
    ttable.0.4 0.5
    ttable.1.4 0.5
    ttable.0.5 0.5
    ttable.1.5 0.5
}

However I am reluctant to make vsurround51 above the default device,
because I think that *real* 5.1 streams won't play correctly. If this is
true, can I specify that the above device should only be used for the
playback of stereo streams?
If not, is there a way to change the default device for gstreamer at
"runtime" (without a restart of the sound system) preferably through a gui?

I'm only interested in making this work for Rhythmbox, which will I use
to play my (exclusively stereo) music files. But I cannot find an option
to configure Rhythmbox directly, and I don't want to mess-up the
playback of DVDs, games etc...

Many thanks in advance,
Panayiotis