Sound muted in HP Pavillion DV9580us/Ubuntu

Hello,

I have had a issue with my HP DV9580us notebook. I installed Ubuntu
Gutsy, however the sound is not working. The sound chipset is an Intel
ICH8 82801H, using a Realtek ID 268 codec. Before you ask, this
soundcard has been detected correctly. I uninstalled ubuntu alsa
packages and compiled the latest version downloaded from
alsa-project.org. I can "play" audio files normally (i.e. it displays
no errors, I can see the program playing the file, however no sound
comes out of the speakers).

So here is my guess: this notebook has some extra buttons in its
panel: volume (+), volume (-) and a mute button.
When the sound is muted, the button lights amber. When the sound is
not muted, the mute button is lit blue. When alsa starts and
snd-hda-intel module is loaded (successfully), the mute button turns
amber (muted) , and I can hear the speakers muting (i.e. when you turn
off an  guitar amplifier, it makes a noise like *tack* before power
goes out). When I press the button, it surprisingly works, setting the
alsa master channel muted or unmuted (the volume buttons work as
well), however, the button does not turn blue, as if it were indeed
setting the alsa mixer properly, but the hardware was not being
affected. I don´t know if that was clear.

Has anyone ever undergone such problem? I am stuck with it for days I
can't figure this out. I would appreciate any kinda help.

Kind regards,
Rafael