Re: SDL Apps using OSS output try to access /dev/dsp1 ????

On 8/8/07, Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Johnathan Bell wrote:
> This just started happening. I fired up Sauerbraten (a SDL-based game), and
> when it tried to access the sound card via SDL and OSS, SDL came back saying
> that "/dev/dsp1" was unavailable. I looked, and it didn't even exist. So I
> symlink'd it to /dev/dsp and tried again. This time, it tried to open
> "/dev/dsp2"! Is this an issue in ALSA, or somewhere else, and what can I do
> to fix it? I tried using the ALSA output from SDL, but there's lots of
> annoying clicky-poppy noises because the sampling rate of my sound card
> (48000) is different than that of SDL by default (44100).

I guess SDL tried to open the first sound card, but this failed due to
the unsupported sample rate, so it tried the next one, which doesn't
exist.

It should be possible to use ALSA's sample rate conversion.  Please make
sure that the device name configured for SDL's ALSA output is "default"
or "plughw" instead of "hw".

HTH
Clemens

Pardon my ignorance, but how would I do that?

Perhaps some more information would be helpful... I have a conexant chipset, and until recently the OSS output from the game worked just fine. I don't know what I've changed in the meantime, but it has been quite a while since I played that same game. I'm using Ubuntu Feisty, and AFAIK I'm using the stock ALSA/Kernel, but I'm not sure. It really has been months since I played the game...