snd-hda-intel volume too low, can't be changed

Hi,

I'm running Gentoo (current kernel 2.6.21-r4) on an Asus notebook (A9RP) with
almost but not quite working sound: lspci says my soundcard is

Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)

so I've selected snd-hda-intel (as a module) when compiling the kernel.
alsaconf recognizes it, but alsamixer shows my headphone with volume at 0 and
doesn't react to any attempts to increase it (while the volume of other
alsamixer controls - PCM, CD etc. - can be changed by the up and down arrows)
and when I start mplayer, even with the headphone volume maxed out, the sound
is barely audible. Googling, it seems lots of people had the same problem
before, but I couldn't find any solution that would work for me. Before
trying to install ALSA from source, I wanted to ask: is my hardware supported
by the driver, or do I have some variant of SB450 (which seems to be quite
variable :-/ ) that just won't work? How do I tell?

	Bye
		Vasek