Intel ICH7 hda not working in openSUSE 102

I installed openSUSE 10.2 on my brand new Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577,
 and the sound is the only component that didn't work correctly.

The sound card is detected and volume is turned all the way up in mixers
and the phyisical volume control. Media play but there's no sound. No errors,
 there just isn't audio.

I used Yast to update the alsa packages to the latest version
 but this did not help.

According to the Alsa wiki, this sound card is supported in the
 most recent version of Alsa. The upgrade didn't make
 any difference on this machine.

I even downloaded and compiled the latest version of
 alsa-driver, alsa-util and alsa-lib, this added a bunch of mixers,
 enabling me to turn up the volume on all channels but did not produce any sound.

I've tried changing combinations of volumes, hooking up speakers, but there's no
result.

I finally decided to remove alsa and reinstall all of it,
 but I don't think I did it properly, because even after I reinstalled
 the latest version from source it didn't work.

I've looked through mailing lists, wikis, forums, and found nothing
 that's worked correctly.

What else should I do?