Re: snd_hda_intel: dmix kills sound

Aha! I finally stumbled across gmane.org, so that at last I can actually look
through archives of sf.net mailing lists! (The standard #@$@#$@#!!!! mailman
archives are completely unusable for me, and always have been. 60 second timeout
followed by a 500 Internal Server Error, but only 80% of the time. The other 20%
they work after 20 seconds or so per page.)

Anyway, I found an old message giving the modprobe parameters

  position_fix=1 model=3stack

and now it comes much closer to working. I can now play through dmix. The output
is distorted for some files, but it doesn't kill the driver any more. Or at
least, not most of the time -- it still does occasionally.

I also get very frequent underruns when running through dmix.

On the other hand, if I revert back to my original params (just index=0), it
does the same (as in: plug:dmix plays with lots of underruns.) I can't reproduce
the behavior where it wouldn't output anything and broke playing through the
hardware device.

I've tried all the different position_fix values and model=3stack, laptop, and
auto. Currently, none of them seem to make a difference. Maybe after another
reboot it'll do something entirely different.

I have the latest BIOS for my laptop (version 213; the laptop is an ASUS A8Js).