Re: Are front and rear channels equivalent ?

stan wrote:
>> > Beyond that you could change the dmix6 to use only 4 channels, 0,
>> > 1, 2, 3.
>> I'll try this. Can I also just skip dmix6 and route the sound
>> directly to hardware ?
>>
> I'm not sure, but I don't think so.  I think the channels are being
> defined by the dmix6 plugin, and so can't be used unless it is there.
> I'm not familiar enough with the plugin system to know if there are
> default channels defined, the 0-5 of the above ch51dup.  Just drop it
> and leave the channels slave there and it might be enough to try
> # upmixing:
>   pcm.ch20dup {
>          type route
>          slave.channels 4
>          ttable.0.2 1
>          ttable.1.3 1
>     }
When I'm changing channels count to 4 for both ch20dup and dmix6 it works
well.

> This will be true if the channels slave is defining the channel
> numbers.  It might be, and if this works it would definitely be more
> robust and less cpu load than the first version.  It should give you
> the identical output that you would get on the front channels.
I've tried it. It works but still requires defining the channel number. It
also requires different ttable:

pcm.ch20dup {
        type route
        slave.pcm "hw:0"
        slave.channels 6
        ttable.0.4 1
        ttable.1.5 1
}

I've found one more strange problem: when the sound is played using dmix
everything is good, but when playing it directly it plays slightly faster
then it should - I've checked it with mplayer.

--
         Best Regards,
              Vladimir