Re: How can I make ALSA use esd on Gnome?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 13:56:41 +0200
Florian Rochler|worldwide affairs <worldwide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Finally, I am able to use my Audigy LS on my machine.
>

> But unfortunately not every program is able to use esd which itself
> is the default sound daemon on Gnome. CeDeGa and games as well as the
> system notification in KDE programs use the ALSA demon. I can make
> use them when I re-setup the soundcard via alsaconf. After a reboot
> all information is lost.
>

> How can I make LinuX to store these information and to use them
> always?
>

> (Debian Etch)
>

> Regards,
>
> Florian

Hi Florian,

Actually, esd will be using alsa also.  The sound system for modern
distros is always alsa at a low level (the drivers, the kernel
modules, the api library, etc.)

So I think the answer to your question is that it can't be done.
You *can* store the alsa configuration by running (as root)
/sbin/alsactrl store
Once this is done, the system will always default to this at startup as
it is stored in /etc/asound.state.  See "man alsactl" for more detail.