recommend for ALSA mixer

On Mandriva 2006 linux, with a "Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 04)"
hardware.

The KDE desktop features the gui mixer  "KMix 2.6.1 (using KDE 3.4.2)".

I find this KMix mixer a little hard to understand, and to use.  Indeed I'm
not sure whether it doesn't collide with other ALSA mixing or operations
(that were maybe run at startup). So my question is, has anyone been here
before - or, how best should I procede ?

Can anyone advise if I can remove this mixer - or recommend a good gui ALSA
mixer I could replace it with ? Or a no-nonsense mixer I could use in
parallel ?

FYI. The trouble I have with KMix, is unambiguously setting single inputs and
outputs, from and to the audio ports of the hardware.  Like, setting a REC
input should unambiguously select one port of the hardware (with Mix off),
and setting PLAY similarly one output port from the hardware to monitor from.
The red REC switch settings of KMix, indeed its entire operation, seems
ambiguous, unintuitive or confusing to me.

Any recommendations for ALSA mixers (patchbays or similar), or other
suggestions for me in these circumstances, gratefully received.