Re: CS5530: Installing latest Alsa into latest linux kernel

Loris Caren wrote:
> However, I cant figure out how to merge the two.

You don't have to do it that way.

> I tried running the configure in the alsa-drivers directory only to be told that my
> kernel already contained alsa.

Make sure you kernel has alsa compiled as modules.  You only need to
select the generic alsa support in the kernel as everything else you can
install from external alsa libraries.

> I then tried replacing the existing kernel/sound directory with the
> alsa-kernel directory, but on running make xconfig I got errors.

Save you kernel's .config file in a safe place and then reinstall your
kernel sources.  You've probably screwed it up by overwriting the sound
directory.

You need a kernel source directory that matches your running kernel for
the external alsa libs to build.  Simply reinstalling the kernel source
is not enough; you need to have built a kernel in that directory.

If you still get errors at that point, post them.

Chris