Has anyone any experience using ice1712 with fluidsynth?

Has anyone any experience using ice1712 with fluidsynth?
My task is to take an ice1712 device (M-audio delta 1010LT) and be able to
play different wav files through each of the four speaker pairs
simultaneously.  Whilst doing this, I need to use Fluidsynth as a soft MIDI
synth to generate sounds on the first pair of speakers.

Seems like I can do either the wav, or the midi, but not both at the same
time. As soon as I start up fluidsynth, it seems to totally re-jig my sound
setup I carefully crafted in ~/.asoundrc such that the channels I created
for each of the speaker pairs are no longer there. They return as soon as
fluidsynth exits.

If you have any helpful hints, tips or pointers to info, this would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve.