Very old ALSA - alsamixer

Hi,

I've got a big problem my sound card support under SuSE 7.3.
My application run only SuSE 7.3. I had to change the hardware.
Now the motherboard is Intel 820 chipset with ICH sound support.

The default (in SuSE 7.3) ALSA doesn't support (or recognise?)
the newer Intel chipset  and of course doesn't work.

I changed the kernel to default SuSE 9.0 which is the last 2.4.x
kernel at SuSE. ALSA sound modules loaded almost perfectly
(except I had to modify modules.conf snd-card-... to snd-...).

The problem is here now:
The ALSA util package from SuSE 9.0 doesn't compatible the libc
of SuSE 7.3! So I though I recompile the full ALSA source under
my 7.3 (src.rpm from 9.0). It wasn't successfull, of course.
So I'm here, maybe someone can help me making just an alsamixer
binary. It is enough for my application because the sound volume
or setting mute is very rarely.
Or if anyone can gives me information putting some "echo" command
to /proc/asound to unmute and set volume it would be enough for me,
too. Application using only /dev/audio.

ALSA versions which is in SuSE 7.3:
alsa-0.5.11-63
kernel: 2.4.10

The source which couldn't compile from SuSE 9.0:
alsa-0.9.6-66
kernel: 2.4.21-99

I tried vanilla kernel-2.4.33.6 but there wasn't any ALSA in it.

So anyone could, please help me!

TIA,
Ruzsi

Ps.: of course I can post here the error messages from compiling
here if anyone interested in.