Re: per host .asoundrc on shared $HOME

At Thu, 07 Jun 2007 22:46:42 +0200,
Ingo Müller wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can't you put something like
>
> <$HOME/.asoundrc.machine1>
>
> in /etc/asoundrc of machine 1 and
>
> <$HOME/.asoundrc.machine2>
>
> in /etc/asoundrc of machine 2?

This won't work because alsa-lib stops with error when no file is
found for inclusion.

> If this doesn't work (sorry, I don't have
> any linux machine nearby), this code should as it's from the official
> documentation:
>
> @hooks [
>         {
>                 func load
>                 files [
>                         "~/.asoundrc.machineX"
>                 ]
>                 errors false
>         }
> ]

The problem is how to replace this @hooks.  It's usually defined in
/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf globally.

This reminds me another workaround using ALSA_CONFIG_PATH variable.
This variable can point the location of the config tree.  If it's not
set, /usr/share/alsa is used.

So, create your own config tree, e.g. $HOME/alsa, by just copying from
/usr/share/alsa to $HOME/alsa, then set ALSA_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/alsa.
Now patch $HOME/alsa/alsa.conf as you like.  For example, the patch I
sent previously.

Takashi