Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Record Levels

Stan - And anyone else that can help

I have done some further investigation on this problem.

To describe it again.
I have an  M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card. Connected to this, via the RCA
inputs, is a amp, which has a record deck connected to it. The
connection is via the "record out" RCA of the amp.

I am using Audacity to record with. I can not set the record level in
Audacity, the control has no effect on the volume of the input signal.

I have tried using Envy24 Control but that has no effect whatever
controls I use.

I have tried to use various asound.conf files that I found on the
Internet and they have no effect.

I took a look at the setup using alsarecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi
[ICE1712 multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have also used alsamixer -V capture
and found from that that I have two capture "channels" either IEC958 or
H/W Mult even with both of these set "not to capture" (that is there is
no red CAPTUR beneath them only ------), the volume in Audacity during
recording is still way too high.

I assume that I have a configuration problem somewhere, but after hours
of wading through websites about alsa.conf I still can't find an answer.

Stan, I do have an  asound.state at /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and it is
a long file that I did not want to put in an email. There didn't seem to
be any clue there either.

Thanks Stan for your help. I hope that there is someone out there that
can provide a better insight into the mysteries of alsa.

regards
James