Re: M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Record Levels

I'm not an expert, and you know what they say about the blind leading
the blind :-)

On Thu, 31 May 2007 16:04:44 +1200
"James J. Eaton" <boxj4@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 card in a Ubuntu Feisty system.
>
> I want to record from this card using the PCM inputs (I take it that
> is what the RCA inputs are called)

I looked at the card online and yes, these are the RCA inputs

> I have found that there is sound, but I am unable to set the level for
> this input.
>
> I have installed the Envy24 Control mixer, and can not find anywhere
> to set the input levels.

I can't bring this up because I don't have an envy24 card.  On the
regular alsa mixer it is usually something like mic or mic boost.
It might be called capture.  Boost the level to 80% or so.

Try just alsamixer, the generalized mixer app to see if you can change
things from there instead.

> I am a newbie when it comes to alsa and sound cards. I have tried to
> read the wiki and other websites to fix this problem, but have only
> become more confused.
>
> Can someone guide me to a resolution.
>
> Thank you
> James

Because I don't have the card I can't look in the asound.state file.
You can try on the alsa web site.  In that file there is usually a
record segment with volume levels.  Set these to 80 to 90 per cent and
you should be OK.  Also turn on the mic boost.

Here are the pieces from my asound.state.

 control.15 {
           comment.access 'read write'
           comment.type BOOLEAN
           comment.count 1
           iface MIXER
           name 'Mic Playback Switch'
           value true
 }
 control.16 {
           comment.access 'read write'
           comment.type INTEGER
           comment.count 1
           comment.range '0 - 31'
           iface MIXER
           name 'Mic Playback Volume'
           value 29
 }
control.17 {
           comment.access 'read write'
           comment.type BOOLEAN
           comment.count 1
           iface MIXER
           name 'Mic Boost (+20dB)'
           value true
 }

Use "ice1712 asound.state asoundrc record" as search terms to try and
find information for your card.  ice1724 is the driver, and
asound.state is the system initialization, .asoundrc is
your personal initialization for the card.

This is an introductory article for alsa in general.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8234