Re: Surround on VIA82xx?

Per Toft wrote:
>> S/PDIF supports either two PCM (uncompressed) channels or passthrough of
>> lossily encoded multichannel (up to 8 channels can be used then afaik).
>>
>> speaker-test, as you tried to run it, is generating 6 PCM (uncompressed)
>> streams, and as S/PDIF can only carry 2 PCM channels then you only near
>> two of them out of your speakers.
>>
>> "Dolby Digital" and DTS are both lossy (some audio quality is lost to
>> save filesize/bandwith) formats which Windows, and probably ALSA, can
>> pass directly over the digital link to be decoded by your speakers'
>> decoder.
>>
>> The things which *should* work for multichannel are:
>> * Enabling digital passthrough and sending undecoded AC3/DTS straight to
>> your reciever
>> * Using 3 (analogue) stereo cables to connect your PC to your speakers,
>> you'll then need to use the surroundXX family of devices. Probably
>> surround51
>>
>> -ol
>>

> Hi again,
>
> When i use AC3 pass-through to the SPDIF from mplayer i get no signal...
> Will try to investigate further.
Can't really help you with that, never used ALSA+S/PDIF personally.

> Have also tried using the three analogue and speakertest:
> speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6
> Sound in front left and right. No other.

Only things I'd suggest would be to pass '-t wav' to speaker-test to
make sure it's not downmixing it for some reason (if it is then you'll
get 'back left/right, centre etc.' through the front sides). Also make
sure your reciever is expecting 6 channels, on mine there's a switch to
choose between it treating the jacks as one 6 channel device and three
stereo devices. Beyond that..I'd look for someone with the same
motherboard, when I had similar issues on my (snd-hda-intel) board then
it turned out to be a driver issue. Wait for someone with the same board

-ol