SOLUTION: alsa-driver compile errors with optimized kernels

This is a long read, but in the end I do solve the problem.

My laptop requires alsa-driver-1.0.14rc3 and the patch_realtek.c patch
to work properly.
I knew this from my experiments with Ubuntu 7.04 (kernel 2.6.20-15).

But my distro of choice for the past 4 years is CRUX, so I set out to
install CRUX 2.3 (kernel 2.6.20.3).  The kernel compiles ok and the
modular sound drivers load (snd_hda_intel), but there is no sound.
Kernel 2.6.20.3 contains alsa 1.0.14rc3; so I figure I'll just
download 1.0.14rc3, apply the patch, and do things that way (just like
I did for ubuntu).

The external alsa drivers (1.0.14rc3) failed to compile, with or
without the patch.  Here is a list of alsa-drivers and kernels I
tried:
alsa-driver-1.0.14rc3, rc4, latest gits...
kernels 2.6.20, 2.6.21, 2.6.20.3, etc.

Still, the external alsa-drivers would never compile.

Interestingly, the alsa-drivers WOULD compile clean on my desktop
machine, running CRUX with an identical kernel version.  So I compiled
alsa-drivers-1.0.14rc3 on the desktop machine (i686 PIII), and copied
them to the laptop (core2) and tried things that way.  Copied modules
wouldn't load and complained about not having core2 something or
other.

And that is when I realized that it was a kernel config issue.  So I
recompiled my laptop kernel, instead of using core2 as the target, I
"downgraded" to PIII i686.  Installed the new 2.6.20.3 kernel,
rebooted and attempted to install alsa-1.0.14rc3 and the
patch_realtek.c patch.

This time it compiled clean and I have sound.

So, moral of the story:  alsa-driver-1.0.14rc3, rc4, git will not
compile with kernel 2.6.20.3, 2.6.21.1, 2.6.20 etc WHEN OPTIMIZED FOR
CORE2.

I know there are many people having issues with the intel hda audio
chips, so I hope this helps.  Do not "optimize" your kernel for core2
if you want to compile external alsa-drives.

Chris