Input sample rate re-label?

Hi all.

I'm using a Terratec Aureon 5.1 USB device to record from the digital
output of a CD deck (I'm using the CD deck as a DAC/ADC). My problem is
that the Aureon advertises its recording sample rate as 48k, despite the
fact that I'm feeding it 44.1k audio (which it passes to the PC
unchanged). Audio recording actually works fine, except that I have to
'change' the sample rate (without resampling) back to 44.1k in Audacity.

However, I'm now using mencoder to record video and audio to .mpeg, so I
need some way of telling mencoder that the audio is actually 44.1k,
despite the sound card advertising the rate as 48k. At the moment,
depending on what settings I use in mencoder, I either get the usual
'playing too fast' audio, or corrupted 'ringing' sounding encoding (I'm
encoding as ac3, but the same thing happens with lame encoding).
Recording through the analogue input (which really does produce 48k
audio) is fine.

Is there a .asoundrc setting which can re-label the input sample rate,
or does anyone know of a way to get mencoder to disregard the advertised
rate?

Cheers.

Dave