Re: Revolution5.1: can't mute sound

On Mon, 07 May 2007 13:10:40 +0400
Vladimir <kv11111@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for a delayed reply, I was far away from my computer these
> days. I've tried to test microphone recording, but it seems that I'm
> using too old ALSA: my alsamixer does not have "Capture Channel"
> selector. I'll try to upgrade ALSA and test it again.
>
> My overall impression from the card is quite positive: sound quality
> is really great. Playback works out of the box on any distro with
> alsa>=1.0.13, but there are some problems, some of them seems to be
> alsa>solved
> in later versions which I'm going to try.

Sounds like a go for me.  I'm mainly interested in the high quality
analog stereo playback.  Everything else is gravy.  Based on the
website in my other response, I might look at the driver to see if
there is a quick hack to get anything else working.  Just from dipping
my toes in I can see that this requires some domain knowledge to code;
the acronyms and abbreviations are plentiful.  I'll have to take
that as it goes.

Thanks.

> > When I was reading them yesterday, the developers said that they
> > have difficulty with that card because M-Audio is not providing
> > specs.
>
> At least the situation is better than with Creative products: their
> x-fi series is still not supported by alsa at all and they do not
> want to provide any information about it to help.

I don't understand this attitude.  I would think a vendor would want
their product used as widely as possible.  How does it harm them to
provide the specs, especially for a platform they aren't going to
support?