Re: Turning off Upmixing

Hi!

Lee Revell schrieb:
> On 5/3/07, Adam Thomas-Murphy <patlaborforce@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Thank you that is just what I was looking for.  Though since I'm still
>> rather new to Linux, how would I set that?   Would I need to put it in a
>> .asoundrc file?
>
> It's up to the application to use a stereo device when playing back
> stereo and a 5.1 device when playing back 5.1 audio.
>
> Lee

That's of course correct. Just in case the OP needs an explanation a bit
more detailed: Normally, every application compatible with ALSA lets you
choose the virtual device it uses to play sound. These devices are
provided by ALSA and can by extended by the .asoundrc file. You can
imagine them as virtual sound cards. There are a lot of predefined
devices, among them the "front" and "plug:surround51" devices, so you
don't need to mess with .asoundrc. Everything you have to do now is make
every application use the appropriate device. This differs heavily from
application to application, so no detailed instruction can be given.
Just look for sound/alsa/playback device etc.

Regards, Ingo