I found this on the VIA Forum -- vt1708a chip problem with headphone output?

Hello,

I am forwarding this to the list because I'm about to by a VIA-based
laptop for a friend.

"I have a question about via's hda audio driver under linux. my
notebook is vn896 chipset based, with C7 processor, from FIC company.
the audio device in the spec is vt1708a. I installed ubuntu 6.10, and
I download the source both from viaarena and alsa-project. it seems
that the patch_via.c file in both packages are same. The compiling
process is ok and I successfully install the driver. My problem is,
the speaker on notebook works well, but the headphone jack, does not
work! it is silence from that port, and with alsamixer program, I can
only see "master","pcm", and "front" in the playback panel. And I
enabled the debug flag in the config, with the kernel debug msg
output, it seems that the driver does not detect the hp (headphone)
port. What can I do with that? Is there anywhere to modify? Is there
anything difference between vt1708 and vt1708a? (from the source code,
there is only 1708 and 1709 inside patch_via.c). "