Re: nForce 430 / ASUS M2NPV-VM snd_hda_intel (surround) sound problems

Trevor Bradley <tgb@xxxxxx> writes:

> 2.6.21 is a kernel version.  I'm aware that there's some interplay
> between the alsa package and the kernel, but also that the alsa package
> compiles modules against the kernel, replacing modules that would
> ordinarily be compiled by the kernel.
>
> Are the changes being discussed here part of the linux kernel, the alsa
> module source, or both?

Both. Alsa module source are modified and tested by Alsa project. Then
the new alsa modules are included in the kernel.

> If I wanted to apply this patch to test it, would I upgrade my
> kernel and keep my current alsa install, or keep my current kernel
> and upgrade my alsa?

Keep your current kernel and upgraded alsa modules.

> I guess I should actually pull up my current kernel version and alsa
> version...

Upgrading alsa modules and lib is usually enough.

> My alsa-driver is currently 1.0.14rc2
> My Kernel is currently 2.6.18.2

That's my current setup also.

> Presently if I recompile my kernel I need to recompile alsa-driver.  I'm
> assuming there's some drivers I could turn off in the kernel so that
> they wouldn't kill the already compiled alsa modules, but I'm not sure
> which they are.

No. The alsa module source you download is not specific to kernel
version (although it needs a minimal kernel version).

But once you compile alsa module with a specific kernel version, you
get a binary module (the .ko file) dedicated to this kernel version.

If you upgrade your kernel, you have to re-compile the alsa module you
downloaded.

> Thoughts on what I should upgrade next and when?

Upgrade the kernel as usual (follow you distro). You'll need to
recompile your alsa module until the alsa version you need is included
in the kernel provided by your distro.

HTH

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they