Re: Problem running on HDAudio

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Renito 73 wrote:

> Hello list
>
> I have a problem installing ALSA 1.0.14-rc3... As shown in the INSTALL file
> I followed all the instructions, the steps I followed are these:
>
> 1. Recompiled my kernel with sound module (soundcore) ONLY and ALSA/OSS
> unselected and rebooted
>
> 2. Installed alsa-driver 1.0.14rc3 as described in INSTALL
>
> 3. Installed alsa-lib 1.0.14rc3 as described in INSTALL
>
> 4. Installed alsa-oss 1.0.12
>
> 5. Installed alsa-utils 1.0.14rc2
>
> I rebooted the system and all modules were loaded as usually (the ones from
> kernel 2.6.20.6) but now the ones I compiled, but when starting X11 no
> /dev/dsp is detected and alsamixer says no device was found.
>
> I check /dev and the dsp* and all devices are not there anymore, onle some
> files under /dev/snd

As they should be. Those are the alsa devices. You probably do not have the
alsa oss drivers loading ( what is in /etc/modprobe.conf?) .

> I run the 'snddevices' and the /dev/* audio files are created again, but
> when I reboot are gone again...

You are undoubtedly running udev-- that creates the dev files on the fly.
They are not premanant. Just make sure that alsa oss modules are loading.

> My questions are:
>
> - Why the /dev/* audio devides disappear when I reboot?

No they do not You told us that the /dev/snd files are there.

> - Why the system reports /dev/dsp not available even if it is there (after
> snddevices withoit reboot)

The system is doing nothing of the sort. Perhaps some specific program is.
Which program?

> - ALSA modules are loaded automatically after kernel boot even the OSS
> emulation ones, so, if modules are loaded and appear to be okay in the
> 'lsmod' why audio does not work?

What do you mean "audio does not work"? What is your evidence?

> I should mention that ALSA drivers from kernel work fine, so the driver
> should work, my problem is when installing the standalone ALSA drivers to
> have the latest version.

There is an old saying-- if it ain't broke, don't fix it. What problem were
you trying to fix-- or were you just enamoured of the new stuff.

Note that they are NOT standalone. They are modules just like the modules
that were there before.

> What can be wrong?

Have you checked to see that the volume controls are up?