Re: Problem running on HDAudio

>>I check /dev and the dsp* and all devices are not there anymore, onle some
>>files under /dev/snd
>As they should be. Those are the alsa devices. You probably do not have the
>alsa oss drivers loading ( what is in /etc/modprobe.conf?) .

These are the modules loaded actually

snd_bt87x              16740  0
snd_pcm_oss            47168  0
snd_mixer_oss          18816  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_hda_intel          23352  0
snd_hda_codec         212272  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                83724  4
snd_bt87x,snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              25864  1 snd_pcm
snd                    56292  7
snd_bt87x,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc         11272  3 snd_bt87x,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
soundcore               9696  1 snd

/etc/modprobe.conf has nothing by now, but with the kernel driver was not
necesary to have something, the driver is the same...

>>I run the 'snddevices' and the /dev/* audio files are created again, but
>>when I reboot are gone again...
>You are undoubtedly running udev-- that creates the dev files on the fly.
>They are not premanant. Just make sure that alsa oss modules are loading.

Should it help if I re-run snddevices every time I boot to regenerate the
/dev/* files? note that /dev/snd/* do not dissapear, only files at /dev/

>>- Why the /dev/* audio devides disappear when I reboot?
>No they do not You told us that the /dev/snd files are there.

I have two locations with audio stuff, /dev/ and /dev/snd/, the files at the
first directory disappear, while the files at /dev/snd/ remain but /dev/dsp*
/dev/mixer* etc are not available after reboot

>>- Why the system reports /dev/dsp not available even if it is there (after
>>snddevices withoit reboot)
>The system is doing nothing of the sort. Perhaps some specific program is.
>Which program?

Any program, X11, kmix, xmms, etc. it says /dev/dsp is not available or no
such device depending the program, even alsamixer does not work

$ alsamixer
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

>>- ALSA modules are loaded automatically after kernel boot even the OSS
>>emulation ones, so, if modules are loaded and appear to be okay in the
>>'lsmod' why audio does not work?
>What do you mean "audio does not work"? What is your evidence?

As I said, programs report "no such device" even X11

>There is an old saying-- if it ain't broke, don't fix it. What problem were
>you trying to fix-- or were you just enamoured of the new stuff.

I have troubles recording with microphone, it records with interference of a
high frequency sound in the background, it is not because the speakers, even
disconnected occurs the same. Hardware is okay it works fine in windows...
for playback works great.

>Note that they are NOT standalone. They are modules just like the

I mean it was compiled externaly, sorry but am not native english speaker.

>Have you checked to see that the volume controls are up?

Even the mixer does not work, so it is not because the volume, programs
report /dev/dsp not found (after reboot) or no such device even if it is
there after ./snddevices without reboot to regenerate them...