Re: Recommendation for "high end" hardware mixing PC soundcard?

Doesn't the RME HDSP range support hardware mixing? I don't know how well this
is supported in linux. They would provide everything except your points 3 and
7.

Regards,
Johan

On Saturday 17 February 2007 21:45, Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since the years I put together my last computer, it is easier in every area
of
> hardware to find good components that also work on linux, EXCEPT on
> sound-cards. Here are my requirements:
>
> 0) (solid) alsa support
> 1) hardware mixing
> 2) avaliable in shops
> 3) Stereo output, Support Capturing from Microphone
> //The following items are considered more of a wish, not necessities
> 4) connected via PCI or even PCI Express
> 5) 5.1 suport
> 6) 24 bit
> 7) price less than 100 $/Eur
>
> The soundcard(s) I used to use where the Creative cards based on the emu10k1
> chipset (SB Live!, Audigy2). These cards were great, but they aren't
avalible
> in any normal shop anymore (there are second hand cards on ebay though).
When
> viewing *all* the soundcards in a big (german) online hardware store I found
> either the card was listed, but lacked hardware mixing, or the card was not
> listed, or the card was not supported (most promenently  the X-Fi cards from
> Creative, which lack a driver, the situation has been covered on other
> threads).
>

> What I also don't understand is that I couldn't find many people alike me,
> asking for some cards that work on linux and provide hardware mixing that
can
> actually be bought. Why is this? Some possible answers I can think of are:
>
> 0) linux people don't care about hardware mixing [why? software mixing in
> linux is a big building site and was never capable to provide me the
comforts
> and possibilities I got with hardware mixing on the emu10k1 based cards.]
> 1) There are some great sound-cards out there that satisfy points 0, 1 and 2
-
> and people have been good at just using them and not telling me about them.
> 2) linux people don't buy new hardware (but use their old sound-cards, and
> they ever break)
>
> Peter
> --
> If society fits you comfortably enough, you call it freedom.
> 		-- Robert Frost

You're never alone when you hear voices inside your head.