Re: Recommendation for "high end" hardware mixing PC soundcard?

Vladimir Mosgalin wrote, On 18/02/07 09:52:
> Hi Peter!
>
>  On 2007.02.17 at 22:45:32 +0100, Peter wrote next:
>
>> 0) linux people don't care about hardware mixing [why? software mixing in
>> linux is a big building site and was never capable to provide me the comforts
>> and possibilities I got with hardware mixing on the emu10k1 based cards.]
>
> The truth is, "hardware mixing" isn't the hot thing right now. Just like
> hardware MIDI synth, it's more or less deprecated. Low-end (like
> integrated ones) sound cards don't support it because they must be
> cheap. High-end professional cards for musicians don't need it because
> it's better to have practically unlimited amount of streams that you can
> mix in software with 32-bit precision on any sampling rate than to be
> limited in number of streams, sampling rate and mixing/resampling
> conversion quality. This doesn't applies to all high-end devices though,
> software processing is preferred now, still there is some use for
> hardware processors, but these devices are rare and expensive.  As about
> middle-ranged cards, they are either about delivering higher quality
> sound than onboards cards (models from M-Audio, Terratec) - they don't
> need hardware mixing because software works very well nowadays, or about
> gaming (Creative cards) - the only ones that truly need hardware mixing,
> to unload mixing big amount of streams off processor.
>
> In other words, if you really desire hardware mixing, buy creative card.
> Audigy 2, Audigy 4, then X-Fi.. well you know where it leads. So I
> suggest you to rethink, maybe you don't need hardware mixing that much
> after all.
>
> As a former Live! 5.1 and Audigy 2 ZS user that now uses M-Audio
> Audiophile USB, I can tell you that problems with software mixing in
> linux aren't that big. If you don't need exceptional sound quality, just
> use onboard card; if you do, buying Creative card is wrong.

As previously discussed here, I'm tending towards an Audigy 4 Pro while
I can still get one in Australia - I don't have the free PCI slots or
fast enough PC to use another solution whilst keeping hardware synth and
mixing.

Regards,

Arthur.