Re: installing alsa from sources

Dominique Michel wrote:> Le Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:46:21 +0100,> Dragan Noveski <perodog@xxxxxxx> a écrit :>>   >> hi to the list!>>>> i am running an originally demudi box, which with the  time became a >> custom-debian testing one.>> in last summer i removed everything from my machine what was depending >> an a dabian-jackd package and reinstalled from sources (lot of audio >> stuff, kde etc...). this action tooks me about a month, >>     >> Wouhaou! A month! Why do you don't try gentoo? It is a very good pro-audio> overlay with a lot of never versions. Some programs have both released versions> and cvs or svn versions.>> http://proaudio.tuxfamily.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page>   ok, look i am workong here mostly with ardour, but since a was a bleeding-noob i decided to install and test here everything what is jacked!just for experiencing/practicing!that is why i have here about 60 appis which all works with jackd, but i really need perhaps 20 of them.so, i really appreciate  your suggestions, but i  would not  like to change the distri now, as i just managed to admin my debian (which really works great!).compiling alsa from scratch might be an advantage for me?!but i heard about gentoo, running very good and beeing somethings for geeks - so who knows, if i ever want to change my distry, i could imagine that i would try gentoo!>   > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml can maybe help you. For the card,> it is enough if you chose only the drivers for yours cards. >   that is an nice link, i had a look and it gave me some more knowledge, thanks!>> i would like to choose only this 3 cards, but what is about options like >> "dummy", "virmidi"??>>     >> dummy is normally not needed. virmidi can be useful if you want to work with> MIDI but is normally not needed.>   so, i would configure like this:
./configure --with-isapnp=no --with-sequencer=yes --with-oss=yes --with-pcm-oss-plugins=yes--with-cards=virmidi,seq-dummy,mpu401,mtpav,serial-u16550,hda-intel,hdsp,intel8x0,intel8x0m,via82xx,usb-audio --with-card-options=all>   >> all the 3 cards runs well now, should i expect some breakage with the >> firmware-loaders 1.0.13?>> is somebody here running a multiface on the newest alsa libs /  firmware??>>>> what should i do with the option `--with-pcmcia-root`??>>     do you know about the options:
--with-pcmcia=kernel,external--with-pcmcia-root=dir, i think, that i just don´t need them!i already have been running ./configure like i wrote above, and it don´t gives me any errors!>> 3: my system is now configured so that alsa is started on boot, will >> this change after an reinstall?>>>>     > No>   thanks, at least one good news!>> 4: what happens to the other appis (let´s say mplayer, but there are >> about 70 self compiled jack-capable appis here!), which are compiled >> with the alsapackages i have now? do i have to recompile everything what >> is linked to libalsa, or will simply running `ldconfig` make a trick?>>>>     > It is hard to respond. All is possible. It can work just fine, break things, or> cause very subtle bugs. On gentoo where all is compiled from the sources, it is> revdep-rebuild that take care of such problems.>>   >> 5: will jackd recognize the new alsa stuff (since it will be installed >> in the same location, as the old stuff is installed in, which is default >> as i understood!).>>>>>> 6: i think that once the drivers are well compiled, compiling the libs >> is not that difficult. is that true, can i use simply the default stuff >> with only `./configure`?>>>> 7: i am using self-made kernels here, with the i.molnar patches and that >> runs very good now!>> i don´t think that i have to recompile the kernel, but it could be >> possible that i must compile alsa with at least the drivers which are >> compiled in the kernel?>>>>     > You cannot have both the in-kernel alsa drivers and the drivers from> alsa-driver at the same time. You must chose one, install and use it.>   sorry for the noob-terminology, the kernel is compile dwith the alsa modules for onboard, rme and usb-audio.>   >> so, that are enough (i know, a lot!) of questions now, i hope that i get >> some good answers, so i can make more questions!!>> i read alreade the README´s and the stuff on the alsa-site, but i am >> still not sure haw to do this reinstallation - but i am sure that i >> would like to have an alsa-system which is not depending on the dpkg!>> if you need more information on my system in order to being able to help >> me, please let me know that!>>>> cheers,>> doc>>>>     >> But to be clear, as many debian packages include specific debian patches or> improvements , I thing at it will be simpler to do one of the following:> 1) As testing and unstable are compatible, add a debian unstable depository in> sources.list > 2) If the programs in unstable are not enough up to date, just use gentoo. >> One of the main gentoo advantages is at you can mix the branches as you want.> You can have a stable base system and work system, and in the work system, you> can install the last committed releases by editing just one file and adding a> keyword for that packages. It is possible because, as it is compiled from> the sources by portage, it will depend only of the installed programs/library.>> And if the installed libraries don't meet the requirements of the program you> want to install, portage will tell you what to do.>> I used suse under many years. I used Demudi and I use now 64 Studio, but> nothing can be compared with the way that portage use to deal with> dependencies. The first install was hard. I even trashed it completely after> a few months of use. But it have so many advantages as it is my every day> distribution.>> At the beginning of the first install, just use a stable system (arch, not> ~arch) and safe CFLAGS as explained in the handbook and you will get an> incredibly fast and stable system. Use ~arch as explained in the handbook> only for specific program where you want the last release.>> And don't trust peoples on the forum telling you to use Cflags as> "break_my_gentoo" (all the cflags not in the handbook), such cflags need> profiling for each single program and no one have the time to do that for every> single program in the box. (When needed, such flags are in the ebuild or in the> source code, so don't mess it with break_m_gentoo system flags.)>> After the first install, read at least the first chapter of the second part of> the handbook, the part about using portage.>> If you read this to the end, a very comfortable way to install gentoo if you> have at least one free partition is to boot in your existing system and do a> chrooted install as explained in> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap6>
ok, ll have a look into it!> Good luck,> Dominique>
cheers,doc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimohttp://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642_______________________________________________Alsa-user mailing listAlsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user