Re: soft mixing: volume control

On 2/8/07, Ingo Müller wrote:
> I had the same problem as you when I set up my system. The controls
> don't appear imidiately. I don't know yet what does the trick. Try
> combinations of playing sound and restarting alsa/your computer. I'm
> pretty sure that the device has to be used at least once before it
> appears. Maybe an ALSA restart is necessary, too. Please tell me, if you
> get it to work, so I can improve the howto. Thanks.

Great! It works! :) Thanks Ingo!

I restarted ALSA and the volume knob became available. As I had used
the new device before restarting ALSA, I'm not sure if it could be
done without previously playing sound. My final .asoundrc is:

pcm.xmms {
    type         softvol
    slave.pcm    "default"
    control {
        name     "XMMS"
        card     0
    }
}

I suggest that you comment on the howto that the "control" is
responsible for creating the volume control and explain what that
"card 0" is all about.

--
Bruno Schneider
http://www.dcc.ufla.br/~bruno/