Re: soft mixing: volume control

Hi!

The thing you need is the softvol plugin. Here is an example of how you
use it:

pcm.xmms {
    type         softvol
    slave.pcm    "default"
    control {
        name     "XMMS"
        card     0
    }
}

If you now make XMMS use the "xmms" device, you get a new volume control
called "XMMS" that controls the volume of that device. You may have to
change the value of slave.pcm according to the name of the device you
used with XMMS before.

I wrote an article in the ALSA wiki with an example that uses the
softvol plugin, too:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/How_to_use_softvol_to_control_the_master_volume

I hope this will help you to get it working. Tell me if it doesn't!

Regards, Ingo