soft mixing: volume control

Hi all, I use XMMS to listen to music, while other sound enabled
applications do their things. These other applications sometimes send
sound warnings that I hear mixed along the music.

The problem is that some applications have low volume samples that I
can barely hear together with loud music. I wish I have a separate
volume control for XMMS that would allow me to use a low volume for
music background while other applications still use the default PCM
volume.

Since ALSA soft mixes everything (no hardware mixing for me), I
thought I could define some ALSA device and tell XMMS to use it.

After some reading, I managed to define a ALSA device and tell XMMS to
use it, but I can't figure out how to associate a volume control to
it. My mixer (gnome-volume-control) has lots of "useless" volume
controls that I could use (specially one named "Aux"). Can anyone tell
me how?

My .asoundrc (simplifications are welcome):
-----------------------------------
pcm_slave.audiobg {
    pcm default
    rate 44100