Re: Is ALSA resampling all my playback to 48KHz?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Corey Moncure wrote:

> I'm using a DMX 6fire with kernel 2.6.19, and one of the features of
> this card is it locks its input clock to whatever sampling rate the
> source material is in.  Two years ago, when I would play 44.1 KHz
> content (via xmms, say) it would lock to 44.1 KHz.  If I played 48 KHz
> content, it would lock to 48 KHz.
>
> I went to Japan for a year, and now I came back and reinstalled linux on
> my computer, and I find that the card now locks to 48 KHz no matter what
> the source material is.  Is ALSA resampling everything in software?  If
> so, how do I make it stop?

Alsa will resample everything if the what the sound card supports is not
what is delivered by the source (with if I understand correctly rather poor
-- linear interpolation-- resampline, although better resampling is, or
maybe already has, being implimented. Try the hw plugin to force the card not to
use software resampling.