Is ALSA resampling all my playback to 48KHz?

I'm using a DMX 6fire with kernel 2.6.19, and one of the features of
this card is it locks its input clock to whatever sampling rate the
source material is in.  Two years ago, when I would play 44.1 KHz
content (via xmms, say) it would lock to 44.1 KHz.  If I played 48 KHz
content, it would lock to 48 KHz.

I went to Japan for a year, and now I came back and reinstalled linux on
my computer, and I find that the card now locks to 48 KHz no matter what
the source material is.  Is ALSA resampling everything in software?  If
so, how do I make it stop?

Additionally, my previous issue with being unable to select a S/PDIF
input source with this card is still unresolved.  I've searched on the
web and haven't found any information about this either.

Thanks sincerely if you have any information for me,
Corey

Further hardware/software information:
Linux murasaki 2.6.18-gentoo-r6 #5 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 20 02:32:05 CST
2007 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz GNU/Linux
Asus P5B
Terratec DMX 6Fire
ALSA version 1.0.14rc1