Delta 1010 has no volume control...? Really...?

The Goal:

  I want stereo playback with mixer volume control to four rooms
  using the MAudio Delta 1010.

The MAudio Delta 1010 can be configured to provide 4 stereo pairs
outbound (playback).  I've successfully got that working (but with no
volume control).  I can not find any mixer software that has any
affect on the volume (envy24control, amixer, alsamixer).  The mixers
list controls like (`amixer -D room1 scontrols`):

  'IEC958',0
  'IEC958 Multi',0
  'IEC958 Multi',1
  'IEC958',1
  'Delta IEC958 Input Status',0
  'H/W',0-7
  'H/W Multi',0-7
  'Multi',0-9
  'Multi Track Internal Clock',0
  'Multi Track Internal Clock Default',0
  'Multi Track Peak',0
  'Multi Track Rate Locking',0
  'Multi Track Rate Reset',0
  'Multi Track Volume Rate',0
  'Word Clock Status',0
  'Word Clock Sync',0

None of the above seem to be useful for controlling volume...

Is this normal?  Do the Windows drivers have the same problem?  If
so, I would not have bought this device.  I'm really hoping that this
problem can be solved!

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Tor

PS -

I tried adding this to /etc/asound.conf:

  pcm.softvol {
    type softvol
    slave.pcm room1
    control.name Master1
  }

... but it never shows up as a new mixer control.  Anyway, even if
that worked, it's a digital rather than analog adjustment (right?)
so I'm worried that it's lossy.

PPS -

I'm running on a Debian Etch system w/ these versions/configs:

  Linux 2.6.18-3-686

  alsa-tools-gui_1.0.13-1
  alsa-base_1.0.13-3
  alsa-utils_1.0.13-1